To build kitchen cabinets on your own might be time consuming but the end result would definitely make you proud of yourself. In order to build kitchen cabinets, you need to have a proper plan and preparation, the right kind of tools and also a checklist of materials that you want to use or purchase. Below are some of the step-by-step guide and information on how to construct your very own kitchen cabinets.
What you need:
- Table Saw
- Jigsaw Router
- Cordless or corded power Drill
- Claw hammer
- Layout Square
- Wood Glue
- Measuring Tape
- ½-inch Plywood
- 1-by-6 Lumber
- Flathead Screws or 3-inch or 1-1/2-inch Deck Screws
- Finishing Nails
- Wood Putty
- Drawer Slides
- First of all, you have to measure the dimensions of your kitchen area where you want to install the cabinets and then design the cabinets into sketches or drawing according to your ideas or use the template design that you can find from the internet, from kitchen home improvement books or your local stores. Next, transfer the measurements to the ½-inch plywood to saw it accordingly into the cabinet\’s back, side, top and bottom pieces.
- After that, you need to assemble the cabinets according to your design and nail them together by using finishing nails and for more extra strength, do add some glue onto it before you start to nail them. You can also use clamps for holding the frame together while waiting for the glue to dry thoroughly.
- The next step is to attach a face frame onto the cabinet. In order to do that, you have to drill holes to the attached sides of your cabinet frame. You also need to construct a face frame for the cabinet by using the 1-by-6 lumber so that it can be attached as the cabinet\’s door. This can be done by cutting the 1-by-6 lumber into 4 pieces per each of the cabinet that you build. After that, you can attached the 1-by-6 pieces frame using the wood screws and also drill holes into the face frame so that you can attach them to the cabinet frame using nails. By pre-drilling holes on it will enable for the finishing nails to go through easily without damaging the plywood. Then, after you have finish nailing, use the putty to cover up the nail.
- The next step is create doors for the cabinet frames by cutting the plywood where the cabinet doors should at least have a 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch overhang in order for the door to be opened easily. You can do this by using the table saw and cut the plywood according to the mentioned sizes and then you need to sand the doors to make them look smooth.
- Before attaching the doors onto the cabinet, you also need to apply stain wood and use polyurethane finish. Apply the first coat of stain and allow them to dry thoroughly before applying it for the second time. Once the second coat has dried, you need to apply a coat of polyurethane finish to the cabinet and leave it overnight before you start to install them the next day.
- Finally, the task of installing the cabinets by attaching them to the studs where you have decided to place the cabinets. You can use shims in order to properly set the level of the cabinets into the designated place before screwing them into the studs. Then, attach the doors of the cabinets to complete your final task.