The gardenia plant is a beautiful plant especially when it is in full bloom and you managed to ensure that its condition is always a good and perfect condition. The plant not only comes with beautiful flowers but also provides magnificent fragrance during flowering and when it is fully blossomed. Depending on the climate, the gardenia plants can be grown either inside or outside of your house and it is a perfect plant for the mild winter season and warm summer season.
Below are some of the steps that you can do in order to care for your gardenia plant.
What you need:
- Container with tray (if grown indoors)
- Pebbles (if grown indoors)
- Shovel or towel
- Acidic soil with a pH of 4.5 to 5.5
- Peat moss
- Acidic fertilizer
- Pruning shears
- First of all, you have to choose the right area for planting your gardenia plant. The location must be having a moderate temperature of at least 68 to 74 degrees Fahrenheit during day time and 60 degrees Fahrenheit during night time. In case you are planting it in an indoor area, you need to select a window that received full sunlight. As for outdoor gardenias, you need to add partial shade such as a covered porch. Too much of excess water will damage its leaves and make sure that you be extra careful especially if you are planting them at a location that receive drips of rainwater.
- Apart from that, an acidic soil is needed for planting gardenias with the soil at least must be having a pH level of 4.5 to 5.5. If you are planting the gardenias in an outdoor area, you must first do some testing on the soil whether it is suitable or not for planting gardenias. For planting it indoor, you have to put some peat moss in the bottom of the pot, plus also placing some pebbles at the bottom of the plant tray before you set the container on the top. After you have planted the gardenias, you need to put some mulch around the base of your plant because all of the things mentioned will help provides moisture and also prevent over-watering to the plant.
- Especially during the summer season, you have to water the gardenias every day and to check whether they needed water or not, you can use your finger by sticking it about an-inch into the soil. If you found it to be dry, you need to water it thoroughly. The gardenias will thrive in a humidity condition, but you do not have to mist them because it will create fungus to its leaf. Apart from that, you need to pour water into the tray inside the gardenias and the pebbles will keep the soil from being too wet and also provides moisture and humidity to the gardenia plants.
- You must always remember to fertilize the gardenias once a month by using an acidic fertilizer starting the process in the month of April and ends it in the month of November. The gardenia plants does not require pruning, but if the need arises for you to shape it, you must wait until after the blooming season arrives.
- The gardenia plants are also vulnerable to insects like Aphids, Mealy bugs, Spider Mites, Thrips, Scale and Whiteflies. In order to protect the plant from these types of insects, it is best for you to always keep it healthy and also prevent it from over-crowding, plus not allowing too much moisture sitting on the plant\’s leaves, maintaining a proper temperature and moisture levels at all time.