Choosing the right garage door threshold is very important for establishing the safety and security of all items that you store in your garage. You must ensure that you choose the appropriate hardware for the threshold accompanying your garage door. If you do not have any idea on what type to choose, consult professional contractor first or seek advice from experts so that you will be choosing the correct door threshold because nowadays there are a lot of garage door thresholds around with a variety of specifications and designs. The information provided below should be able to help you choose the right garage door threshold and which one is more suitable for your requirements as well as your budget.
What you need to take into consideration:
- Determine and decide on the materials to use
- Whether the garage area is designed with multiple floor heights
- The types of flooring used
- The chosen color and styling of the garage surrounding
- First of all, you must determine the materials for your garage door threshold and your decision must take into account all features that you have built around your existing garage. Most of the common materials being used are aluminum, wood, steel and even fiber glass materials which are much more expensive.
- If your requirements direct more to durability, strength and long-lasting, you have to choose the materials that are made from steel. It also provides much more security to its interior than the other material but nevertheless, it all depends on personal preferences and if the person prefers a more conscious look, wood would be the better choice.
- If the garage is used for storing large equipments, the most suitable threshold to choose is the aluminum type due to its cost which is much cheaper and long-lasting. The aluminum threshold is able to control unwanted airflow, water, insects and debris entering the area.
- Although vinyl comes with a variety of styles and colors, its design is similar with wood grain and also long-lasting, but you must also take into account its downside. For example, vinyl cannot handle extreme temperature condition and it is also too heavy based on its weight which can cause the material to crack.
- You will also need to take into consideration of the height implications between your garage flooring and its surrounding area. Threshold doors that you choose from will help you cope with the different height where the threshold that you set in the door opening between each of the different materials provide a functional and visual transition to the garage surrounding.
- You will also be able to choose your preferred color and style between the door threshold and the flooring because there are a variety of designs and selections in the market nowadays.