In order to ensure that your air conditioner runs efficiently, its maintenance especially on its condenser and evaporator coils need to be kept in a good and clean condition. The dirt and grime that builds up on the air condition coils will reduce the air condition ability in absorbing and radiating heat thus resulting in poor performance of the air conditioner. The cleaning task needs to be done once a month, but if your usage is heavy then you need to clean it more often. The information provided below should be able to help you clean your air conditioner coils.
What you need:
- Vacuum cleaner
- Fin comb
- First of all, you need to clean the indoor air condition parts by removing the front grille and most of the grilles for air condition in the market today are made to clip on it. But there are some types which still need the help of a screwdriver to attach the grille onto the air condition.
- After that, you need to remove the filter in order to be able to reach the condenser coils. For cleaning all the dirt and dust on the coils, you can use a vacuum cleaner.
- You can also use a fin comb for straightening any bent coil fins if you noticed any. The fin comb can be purchased from any appliance (parts) stores or from an air condition wholesaler.
- You can even use a soft bristle brush in order to wipe the air condition coils. As for the dirtier coils, you need to use a mild solution of detergent along with water. If it still cannot be cleaned, a more aggressive approach of cleaning solutions needs to be used.
- The next step is to replace the filter and front grille if it is necessary.
- As for the outdoor air condition condense coils, it is opened to a variety of elements. Although it is necessary for the condenser to have proper air flow, but at the same time it also gets filthy due to dirt and debris which include leaves, grass clippings, germs and bugs.
- For cleaning purpose, you also need to remove the back grille and then only you will be able to see the evaporator coils. Clean all of the dirt and debris found on the coils using a vacuum cleaner. Fin comb also can be used for straightening bent coil fins. Then, replace the back grill.
- Finally, you have to trim any foliage back to at least 2 feet. This is for reducing the amount of dirt attaching to the evaporator coils.
By now, you are ready to start cleaning your air conditioner coils.