Your refrigerator could become your worst nightmare with all the improperly stored leftovers, food, spills and neglected care. If you are not taking care and cleaning your refrigerator, it will inhabit by mold, mildew and bacteria which could harm you and your family as well. A proper and thoroughly refrigerator cleaning is recommended at least once per year, this will provide you a refrigerator that will run properly and protect your family from food borne illness. Here\’s how you can clean your refrigerator properly.
Things that you need:
- sponge or rag
- paper towels
- dish soap/ antibacterial cleanser
- coil brush
- First, loosen the refrigerator light bulb so that it can be easily taken off. Because the refrigerator light bulbs were intended for only short period uses and will likely burn out if left on during heavy duty cleaning.
- Then, find your temperature control knob which is located inside the refrigerator. Turn the knob into the “OFF” position. Unplug the refrigerator. Before the cleaning start, remove all the food items from your refrigerator and store them in a cooler or separate refrigerator.
- Next, pull out all meat drawers, wire racks and removable shelves. Prepare warm soapy water in the sink and wash all the items. Wash down the inside of the refrigerator with a solution made from 2 tablespoons of baking soda and ½ quart of hot water by using a sponge or rag. Continue with the same sponge or rag; wash the inside of the door and all its compartments.
- After that, rinse the entire refrigerator and all the areas that you have just cleaned and scrubbed by using a fresh, clean rag or sponge. After everything has been rinsed properly, dry with paper towels or newspaper or allow to air dry thoroughly.
- Replace the drawers, shelves and wire racks. Wash the rubber molding around the refrigerator using a clean rag with hot water and dish soap. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Continue to wash the outside of the refrigerator with hot water and dish soap or an antibacterial cleanser that you can find in any hardware or discount store. Again, rinse and dry completely.
- If there is a drip pan in your refrigerator, remove it from underneath the refrigerator. Empty the pan and scrub to clean. Rinse the pan with warm water and let it dry before replacing. For the metal plate of the refrigerator near the floor, replace it and vacuum around this entire area. Using a coil brush or vacuum hose, remove all the dirt, dust and debris that has settled in the condenser coils. When finished, wash the metal plate. Rinse and dry thoroughly before replacing it.
Finally, plug in your refrigerator. Twist the light bulbs so that it turns on again. Turn the temperature control knob back “on” and control the temperature according to your desired settings. Return all food items into the fridge when the temperature is completely cooled.