A sunroom is simply a room that is lit with sunlight. It comes in many shapes and sizes and can be used as a greenhouse to grow plants, or even a room for you to relax in during the evenings. Here is how you can create your own sunroom.
- The most important thing in creating a sunroom is to determine the direction where the sun rises and sets. You should then build in a particular direction depending on the purpose of your sunroom. A sunroom that is not filled with sun is just any other room. If you intend for your sunroom to be a greenhouse to grow plants, or even a breakfast area, you should build it where it would receive the morning sun. On the other hand, if you plan to relax in it during the evening, you should build it where you will be able to see the sunset. However, do bear in mind that the evening sun produces more heat than the morning sun.
- Next, draw out the plan for your sunroom according to the amount of space you have. Sunrooms usually have plenty of large glass windows for the sun to come in. Therefore, you do not have to stick to a perfect square or a rectangular. The more sides you have, the more windows you can put up to let more sunlight in.
- You can also add in skylights to allow more sunlight in from the roof.
- Besides that, you can also plan your furniture in advance to make it easier for your architect to assist you. Keep in mind that the furniture you put in the sunroom might fade after some time. Also, it is advisable to choose light-coloured furniture as darker colours tend to trap heat easily. Plants also make great decorations to sunrooms as they are able to receive enough sunlight to help them grow.
- Once you have all your details down, go over the plans with an architect before looking for a contractor to help you create your sunroom.