You can make your own decorative bell from an upside-down Styrofoam. This is a great project for a large group of children as it is not expensive and it is easy to make. However, an adult will be needed to help small children because the bell’s assembly will need a bit of coordination. You can use glitters with different colors, according to the occasion and festivity, such as blue and red glitters for Independence Day, or gold and silver glitter for a decorated bell during the winter festive. Here are the steps on how to make a decorated bell from a Styrofoam cup.
You will need:
- Thin Gold Ribbon
- Styrofoam Cup
- Button With At Least Three Holes And Glue
- First, measure a strand of thin gold ribbon and cut it about three times of the Styrofoam cup’s height. Make sure to watch your children when they are using scissors to cut the ribbon strands.
- On one end of the ribbon, tie a small bell on it. You should use a bell that has the same shape as the sleigh bell. You can find these bells in any craft stores. Insert the end of the ribbon, which is in the opposite of the bell through one hole of a button.
- Choose a button with large holes so your ribbon strand can be inserted easily. To make it easier to thread the ribbon through the buttonholes, cut the end of the ribbon into a small slant if necessary.
- Then, insert the ribbon back down through the second hole and then through the third hole of the button. Place the button about a 1/3 of the length of the ribbon from the bell and 2/3 the length from the end without the bell. Secure the location of the button by tightening the ribbon. Use the tip of a pencil to make a small hole into the center of the bottom of the cup by poking it.
- Insert the end of the ribbon without the bell up through the cup and through the hole. To help you maneuver the ribbon through the hole, use the pencil instead. Pull the ribbon up through the hole before pulling it out of the bottom of the cup. 1/3 of the ribbon with the bell attached should remain inside the cup while another 2/3 of the ribbon should be pulled out of the bottom of the cup.
- Next, make a loop at the end of the ribbon and tie it in place near the hole to make the bell inside the cup and the loop outside the cup. Paint white glue on the outside of the cup avoiding the ribbon. Sprinkle your desired glitter over the glue until it is completely covered with the glitter. To prevent any mess, work your glitter sprinkles over a newspaper.
- Finally, leave your bell to dry either by placing it on newspaper or hanging it on a hook.