If you are conscious about the environment and then you would be aware of the negative effects of using chemicals in your household usage such as for laundry; using green laundry detergent is a great choice. This green laundry detergent works like a chemicals detergent to clean your clothes, but at the same time safer and friendly to the environment and also your health. Although there might be many types of green laundry detergent in the market nowadays, making your own green detergent laundry is not that hard. The steps of making it is so easy and takes about half an hour to produce 6 months of detergent supply for your laundry usage if you have a family of four people. Make sure to buy organic or environment- friendly soap listed on the things that you will need. Here are the steps on how to make green laundry detergent.
You will need:
- 1 ½ cups of washing soda.
- 1 bar soap.
- 1 ½ cups of borax.
- 5 gallon bucket.
- 1 cup of soda.
- Cheese grater
- Making your own home made laundry detergent is one of the ways that you can save cost especially saving a lot by not sending your laundry to the laundry shop or buying expensive laundry detergent at your sundry shop or at the shopping mall. First, shave the soap using a cheese grater to produce smaller bits of soap. You can also cut the soap with a fruit peeler or carefully with a knife.
- Then, put 12 cups of water and all of the shaved soap into a large pot. Open the fire on medium heat and stir the mixture until the soap is dissolved completely.
- Add in the washing soda, borax and baking soda into the pot. Stir the mixture until it is completely dissolved.
- Carefully, fill in 8 cups of hot water into 5 gallon bucket. Make sure that the soap mixture is dissolved completely before adding them into the 5 gallon bucket. Add again 2 gallons and 12 cups of water, you don’t have to worry if the water is still hot.
- Mix the mixture by stirring briskly before covering it and leave it to set about 24 hours.
- You could also whisk the mixture if necessary. If you want to have detergent with the scent of your choice, add a few drops of essential oils to your mix at the end just before whisking.
- Each batch of your green laundry detergent will have a different look and consistency ranging from syrup-like liquid, jello-like or chunky liquid. But, the performance and the result for all of those consistencies are still the same.