An apricot is a yellow orange hued small fruit grown from an apricot tree. The size of a normal apricot tree is equal to a medium sized canopy. Apricots can be eaten straight from the tree, preserve them into jams or jellies or dry them for snacks. You can grow your own apricots tree as they are easy to grow and demand minimal maintenance as well. You can find young apricots seedlings in nursery or botanical shop. Here are the steps on how you can grow your own apricots.
Things that you will need:
- Apricots tree
- Water can
- Choose a suitable area to plant your apricot tree. Apricot trees are subtropical trees, so it can only tolerate temperatures from 30 degrees to over 100 degrees to remain healthy. In the cold weather, the apricot\’s flowers on the tree will die but the tree will stay healthy and thrive the next year.
- To hold the apricot tree\’s base, dig 1-foot square hole. Remove the apricot tree from the burlap sack or the container carefully. Then, place the tree in the hole and fill in the sides with soil until the base of the apricot tree is buried fully in the ground.
- Using a water can or a hose, water your apricot tree generously over the roots and the soil. You have to add more soil after the water soaks in.
- Prune the apricot tree every winter or spring before it begins to produce new growth. To maintain a healthy apricot, prune them properly and remove any unhealthy branches and limbs. Thin out any bush or thick areas in the leaves.
- Every 1 to 2 months, feed your apricot tree with fruit tree plant food. To ensure that your apricot tree is receiving enough nutrients, fertilize them with fertilizer or compost.
- It is easy to cultivate more apricot trees. You can cut off healthy branches and then place them in water to allow them to grow root. Late springtime is the best time of year to cut the apricot tree for cultivation.