Sometimes there are projects that you can\’t handle on your own when it comes to remodeling your house. Some of the projects need specific skills that need you to hire a general contractor. If this is your first time planning on hiring a general contractor, you can follow these easy steps below.
- Conduct several interviews with contractors to find the best contractor that suits your remodeling requirements. Never pick the first contractor that you find in the phone book. Take referral from other people that you know on another way to find a contractor for interview.
- When discussing plans with each potential contractors in the interview process, give each of them a plan of your remodeling requirements. Include the project\’s budget in the plan. Let the contractors know the dimensions of the space they are going to work on and what you want to do with the space. All of this information will help them to prepare a bid for the job.
- During interviews, you should look at their work by checking at their previous projects\’ pictures and contact references. Previous projects that have been done by the contractors can be a good indicator to see their quality and craftsmanship of work. Make a call to the references and ask them if you can look at the contractor\’s work. At the same time, ask the previous clients about the contractor\’s experience, behavior and work ethics.
- Set a time to the general contractors for a bid on the project. The bid should include an estimation of supplies and labor cost. Other things that should be included are if there is any usage of sub-contractors. Avoid choosing the lowest bid. Before determining the best bid, review carefully to all of the information that the contractors have given.
- Choose a contractor based on the interview, bid and references. You should choose a contractor that you can trust and produce the best quality of work at the best value of costs.
- Make a timetable for the project. Once you have successfully chosen your general contractor, sit down with them and discuss the timeline for the project. To make sure that things are going as planned, ask the chosen contractor to find out how long it is going to take and check in periodically.