It is common to install or put a home security system at your place. What are not common though are people knowing how to truly install the control panel on a home security system. In order to control and coordinate all elements of a home security system, you need to have a control panel. Some of the security systems that are available in the market today comes with a simple installation and are not difficult for you to understand through its manual instruction. Below are some of the general steps that would help you install the control panel on a home security system.
To install the control panel on a home security system, you need to do:
- Home security system control panel
- Determine the location to install
- Run the wires carefully to the panel
- Connect the wires to the panel
- Mount the panel
Installing the Control Panel on a Home Security System
How to Install the Control Panel on a Home Security System
- Firstly, you need to determine the area that you want to install the control panel. You must ensure that the location is protected by the system and is not easily noticed by other people in order to avoid intruders getting access to the panel. The panel also needs to be near your telephone, power and alarm cables for easy connectivity.
- The next step is to run the wires and connect it to the control panel, along with a phone line; various alarm sensors, siren and also your power supply. You will not have to do this if you use a wireless system. It is recommended that you run the wires through the rafters or via your roof of your unfinished basement or even through your ceiling or floor.
- Then, you need to connect the wires onto the control panel. If you are not sure how to connect the wires, you have to refer to the security system’s manual so that you will understand the proper way of connecting the wire. Always make sure to turn off the fuse of your power source before starting to do any connection of the wires.
- Once finished, you have to mount the control panel on the wall. For mounting it on drywall, you need to drill through the wall into your wall studs in order to mount the panel. Then, you would be able to cut a hole through the drywall just behind the control panel so that you can run the wires through the hole.
- Next, you have to activate the alarm system, configure all its components by using a dedicated keypad provided by the alarm system company.
- Finally, you have to perform the testing on the operation of the alarm system in order to ensure that it works accordingly. Normally, an alarm system has a testing mode for you to do the testing.