Maintaining your farm\’s privacy is the main reason on building your farm a driveway. A normal fence doesn\’t cover what trespassers can see inside your property. Although a gate can be possibly done by an expert but it can also be done by you on a small budget. When it will be completed, you will have your own gate which is way better than a fence. Now you no longer have to worry on who\’s trespassing your farm. Installing a farm driveway gate is a straightforward task but you need to take into consideration the soil, the gate width and gate types to be used whether it is stainless steel or aluminum, plus also a strong post for hinging the gates. Below are some of the guides on how to install a gate on your farm driveway.
What you need:
- Gate with hinge bolts
- Electric drill
- 8 foot by 8 inch treated post
- 6.5 foot by 6 inch treated post
- Two bags quick cement
- Dig holes on each side of the driveway with appropriate depth and width for inserting the post, while the hole for the hinge post is slightly wider and to use lots of cement for strong base.
- Then, place the large treated post in the hinge-side hole and measure the placement of the lower hinge. To enable the gate to swing 6-inch above ground, you need to mark the lower hinge hole accordingly. Remove the post from the hole to line up your mark with the lower hinge clamp on the gate before marking the location where the upper hinge will hang from the post.
- Next, insert the hinge post into the hole and fill the hole with cement mixture, allow it to set and dry thoroughly, plus also ensure that the post is level.
- Drill the hinge holes with appropriate bit and screw its bolts before setting the gate on its hinges. To lower the far end of the gate, screw the bottom hinge bolt in further while for raising the far end screw the top bolt in further.
- Then, place the latching post in the other hole ensuring its position is close enough to the gate to allow latching or chaining. Once confirmed of its position, pour in cement to the hole and allow it to set and dry thoroughly.