Install an Extractor Fan Speed Controller
An extractor fan speed controller helps to remove all the stale and foul odors in a room such as the bathroom. The actual function of an extractor fan speed controller is actually to control the extractor fan to the speed that you choose and want it to work as. You can install the extractor fan speed controller easily with these straightforward steps. With needed tools and safety handling, you can do the installation smoothly. Here are the steps on how to install an extractor fan speed controller.
You will need:
- Wire strippers
- Touch-type voltage testers
- Wire connectors
- First, turn off the electricity to the ceiling fan of the room that needs to be worked. Take note that the first line refers to the actual circuit breaker in the electrical panel of the house which is not the convenient switch on the nearby wall.
- Then, locate the fan speed control switch on the body of the fan. If it comes from a kit, locate it close to the fan blades, removing any screws securing the kit from the fan afterwards. Some of the kits come with fans that already have lights on them.
- If there are no lights available, the switch should be the pull chain on the fan.
- Remove the button cap of the fan. The speed control switch will have a few wires coming off. Test for voltage by using a touch-type voltage tester.
- Next, remove the screw-on cap. This cap secures the speed control switch to the fan itself. The switch can be easily pulled out of the fan after the cap is removed. Pull the wires projecting from the switch.
- If there is a pressure clip holding the bundle wires, use a twisting clip to pull the wires easier. If the wires are just too strong, you can cut the wire by writing down which wires go to where so that there will be no mistakes on which needs to be cut or which don\’t.
- The cutting process will become easier if you strip about three quarters of an inch of insulation of the wires.
- You can now insert the proper wire into its slot regarding the speed control switch. Insert and then pull the chain and the threaded nipple through the hole where a previous switch may have been occupied after removing the screw-on end cap from the switch.
- Fasten back all the necessary screws to secure the switch. Force back carefully any wires wherever possible. Finally, turn the circuit back on to test the speeds.
Make sure all the steps are done well to avoid any future incidents from happening. By following the steps above thoroughly, you have successfully installed your extractor fan speed controller that will help you control the speed of your fan the way that you want it to. Switch it on first to test whether it works as you want it to.