Installing a home security alarm systems through door sensors in your house will definitely make a burglar think twice to proceed with his intention. The system is one of the ways for you to prevent any break-ins whenever you are on vacation, out to work or even sleeping in the middle of the night. Most of the door sensors of a security alarm system consist of a trigger on the door itself and a magnetic switch on the doorframe. If you are using a closed circuit system, the electricity will flow through both halves every time it is activated and the door is closed. Whenever the door is opened, it will automatically stop the flow of the current triggering on the alarm. For an open circuit system, it uses a magnet or trigger on the door handle that prevents electricity from flowing as long as your door is closed. Once it is opened, it will automatically release the magnet or trigger sending the electricity into the alarm to sets it off. Below are some of the steps that you can do in order to install a security system for your door.
What you need:
- Door sensors (2-part alarm system consist of switch and trigger)
- Stud Finder
- Drywall anchors
- Conductor wires
- First of all, you have to select the door where you will fix the sensors and ensure that their interior surface is clean and free of dirt. You also have to clean the area of the wall where you decide to attach the main unit of the security alarm system.
- The next step is to use a screwdriver, electric drill, a carpenter\’s pencil, a level, a stud finder and/or drywall anchors. You have to use the stud finder for locating a stud closer to the top of the doorframe or you can also use the drywall anchors for securing the main unit onto the wall. Hold the main unit of your door sensor up on the wall, level it before marking a spot using the carpenter\’s pencil and also mark its screw holes on the wall.
- After that, drill pilot holes to accommodate the screws. If you are not using a stud but using a drywall anchors instead, you have to make holes for the drywall anchors before inserting it into the wall, and then screwing the unit to the wall.
- Then you need to install the magnetic switches on a suitable location on the door where the switches have to be placed in order for it to be in contact with the main unit whenever the door is closed and breaking its contact when you open the door.
- After you have determined the location of the magnetic switches, mark it and drill pilot holes onto it. Then, you have to mount the magnetic switches onto the door and door fame with a screwdriver and screws provided by the manufacturer.
- Once you have finished, you need to set up and test the security system to enable it to recognize the signals from the installed door sensor. You can do the testing by opening the door to ensure that the alarm goes off when the magnetic strips are separated. If it does not go off, you have to make some adjustment such as adjusting the switches or making sure that the position of the sensor is leveled.
- After you have finished installing and it works properly, make sure to demonstrate how it works to all of your family members and let them practice how to activate and also deactivate the system to avoid any false alarms.
- Most of the door sensors in the market nowadays come with battery powered technology, but if you have purchased a system that requires it to be connected to the main power of your house, always make sure that you shut off the electricity to that part of the house before you begin to install the system.