Before you start to do your cleaning task for your indoor drain, you must ensure that the liquid drain cleaner do not have any content which is not compatible with your drain plumbing system. Sometimes the massive usage of chemical products can cause damage to your PVC pipes and in the end you will need to fork out more money in order to fix back the damage. Therefore, do take some initiative to understand all the labeling of your chemical products before you start any cleaning work. Below are some of the steps to that you can do in order to make your drains free from clog.
What you need:
- Drain cleaner
- A graduated 32 fl. ounce bottle
- Thick gloves
- Covered shoes, preferentially boots
- Cover opener
- Plastic bucket
- Baking soda
- Boiling water
- First of all, you have to make sure to read and understand the manufacturer\’s instruction or content of the liquid cleaner that you want to use to clean your drain. This is to ensure that you are adhering to its safety and proper usage, plus you must always remember to wear protective gear so that you can reduce the risk of any skin contact with the chemical product.
- The next step is to collect the funnel along with the bucket and the 32 fl. ounce bottle of cleaner and place them together near the drain that you want to do your cleaning work.
- After that, you need to put the granulated bottle inside the plastic bucket and then place the funnel inside it. Once finish doing this, you take the drain cleaner and its cover. It is recommended that you use at least half amount of the liquid out of the full level of 32 fl. ounce bottle.
- Then, put back the drain cleaner bottle and always ensure that its cap is sealed back again after usage and also place it in a safe area where your children will not be able to reach or play around with it. Next, pour the drain cleaner inside the bucket and after you have done pouring it, leave it for a while so that it can react before flushing the drain using hot water. If the clogged drain is still not loose, repeat the same process until the clog breaks loose.
- Always remember not to smell or do the task with your eyes near the mouth of the container. Also avoid any skin contact with the chemical and take extra precautions by wearing heavy protective gear. Two different drain cleaners cannot be used in a single cleaning process because it will either react very dangerously or neutralize both of the chemical.
- If you do not want to use chemical products, you can always choose to use natural product such baking soda and vinegar. This can be done by simply sprinkling at least 1/4 cup of baking soda into your drain, followed with a cup of vinegar. Leave them for a while for at least up to 15 minutes.
- Boil a pot of water until it reach a full boiling level and pour the boiling water down the drain. The combination of baking soda and vinegar will create foam that will cling to the dirty areas inside the drain without flowing past them which any liquid drain cleaners normally do, while the boiling water helps to break them all before sending them down the drain. This kind of method can be done at least once in every two weeks interval for you to have a clog free drain.