Making your own home made laundry detergent is one of a way that you can save cost especially saving a lot by not sending your laundry to the laundry shop or buying expensive laundry detergent at your sundry shop or at the shopping mall. Below are some of the steps required for producing a homemade laundry detergent;
What you need:
- 1 bar of soap (the type of soap depend on your preferred choice)
- 1 box of Washing Soda
- 1 box of Borax
- A five gallon bucket or 15 litres that has lid on it
- Three gallons of tap water
- A big scoop or spoon to stir the ingredients
- A measuring cup
- A knife or grater
- First of all you need to boil about four cups of tap water using a pan on your stove until it is almost boiling.
- You can start shaving the bar of soap into strips by using a knife or grater and put it directly into the pan of boiling water.
- After you have shave or grate the whole bar of soap, you need to stir the hot water until it is dissolved and it become highly soapy water.
- Then, you need to put three gallons or approximately 11 litres of hot water into the five gallon bucket. Mix it with the hot soapy water and stir it for a little while before adding a cup of washing soda.
- Stir it up to a minute or two, before adding a half cup of Borax. Then, stir it again for a few minutes and let the ingredients mix together overnight.
- The next morning you will be having a bucket of gelatinous slime where by using only one eight ounce (use measuring cup) is all it takes to do a batch of your laundry.
- Please bear in mind that this mentioned method might not be suitable for most front loading washers, while the Super Washing Soda is also not recommended for usage on wool or silk.