Making your own home made laundry detergent is one of the ways that you can save cost especially saving a lot by not sending your laundry to the laundry shop or buying expensive laundry detergent at your sundry shop or at the shopping mall. Below are some of the steps required for producing a homemade laundry detergent;
What you need:
- 1 bar of soap (the type of soap depend on your preferred choice)
- 1 box of Washing Soda
- 1 box of Borax
- A five gallon bucket or 15 litres that has lid on it
- Three gallons of tap water
- A big scoop or spoon to stir the ingredients
- A measuring cup
- A knife or grater
- The first thing that you have to is to boil approximately four cups of tap water using a pan on your stove up until the water is almost boiling.
- The next step for you to do is start to shave the bar of soap into strips by using a knife or grater and directly putting it directly into the pan of boiling water.
- After you have finished shaving or grating the whole bar of soap, stir the hot water together with the ingredients until it is dissolved and turning it into highly soapy water.
- Then, take approximately three gallons or 11 litres of hot water and pour it into a five gallon size of bucket before you start mixing it with the hot soapy water. Stir the mixture for a little while before you add a cup of washing soda.
- The stirring process need to be done up to at least one or two minutes. After that, you have to add a half cup of Borax and start to stirring process again for a few minutes more to let the ingredients to mix together overnight.
- In the morning, you will be able to see the end product of your home made detergent which is ready to be use. You can use one eight ounce (use measuring cup) from the bucket of gelatinous slime to do a batch of your laundry chores.
- Please remember that this type of method might not be suitable for most front loading washers and Super Washing Soda is also not recommended to be used on wool or silk.