Nowadays, there are a lot of water-saving appliances and water conservation systems in the market such as rain barrels, drip irrigation and on-demand water heaters which are of course more expensive, but if you know and apply the correct ways water saving methods would be able to be achieved with only a little cost. Water conservation that can be done at home is an easy task to do and it should become a habit for all of us to practice daily. In order to prevent water pollution at your home, below are some of the things that you can do.
What you need:
- Turn off tap water when not in use.
- Use biodegradable chemicals for cleaning purposes.
- Plant more trees.
- Conserve electricity.
- Try to maintain a minimum usage of your water supply for example by turning off your tap when brushing teeth thus reducing the amount of water to treat and help minimize water pollution.
- Do not throw any chemicals or liquids such as paint, oils and fuel down the sink or drain which could do more harm to your water system and environment.
- Always use an environmental friendly detergents, cleaners and biodegradable chemicals.
- Do not use excessive amounts of weed killer, lawn grower and pesticides in your garden so that you can reduce these chemicals from running off to your surrounding water table, plus also contaminate the nearby streams and rivers.
- Try to plant more trees in your garden in order to prevent soil erosion, plus also stopping chemicals from entering the rivers.
- Do not litter in your lakes and water sources and if possible ensure that you pick up any litter around you and put it into a dustbin. Also do not make it a habit to throw trash through you car window while driving in your car.
- If possible you need to compost your household waste rather then send them to the landfill because the sites are locations for water pools which will be flooded into nearby river whenever there is heavy rain, thus contaminates the river with the rotten food and other waste.
- If possible wash your car at a commercial car wash center because they normally recycle and treat all the waste water after washing customer\’s vehicles.
- Ensure that you conserve electricity because the electricity comes from a coal burning power plants and in order to produce it, the plant will indirectly contribute to the environment acid rain.