Refinishing work done on your kitchen cabinets will definitely provide a fresh look to your old kitchen environment. Furthermore, it is much less expensive than buying new cabinets. Below are guides on how to refinish your kitchen cabinets.
What you need:
- Oil-based primer
- Latex paint
- Paint tray
- Screw Driver
- Drop cloth
- New hardware
- Contact paper
- Wash cloth
- First thing that you need to do is disassemble the cabinet and place it on a drop cloth. Then, remove all the hardware from the cabinet\’s doors.
- Next, wipe the doors and cabinets using wet cloth to remove dirt and grime.
- Then, uninstall the cabinet\’s shelves from its original position.
- Careful when using paint as not to fill in the original holes of the cabinet with the paint. After that, you need to sand the cabinets and doors using fine grit sand paper and wipe a cloth to remove the grit.
- If you use high quality paint brush, you need to ensure that all surfaces of the cabinets and doors have been applied with oil-based primer except the inside of the cabinets. Then, allow it to dry for up to 24 hours.
- Next, apply the first coat of latex paint colour of your preferred choice. You can use a roll for painting large surface and small brush for smaller area. Then, let the paint dry overnight and sand the surface after that. If the need arise, apply second coat of the paint.
- After the surface has dried, use high quality paint brush to apply water-based polyurethane on the cabinets and doors for creating a non-porous surface so that you can easily wipe the surface.
- Then, cut your contact paper into size and apply it to the shelves for extra protection to the cabinet.
- Next, re-install the shelves into its original position. For new hardware used on the cabinets, you need to attach its hinges to the doors before hanging them. Make sure you measure the distance between the hinges accordingly so that its height is equal for each door.
- Measure the doors so that it is even using a level and marked the area with a pencil. Hang the doors one at a time. If you are not using self-close hinges, it is advisable to use magnets so that the doors are close properly.