Acrylic Latex Paint
Acrylic latex paint is a water-based paint, which normally means that it can be cleaned with water and soap rather than using chemicals such as mineral spirit or paint thinner. Although, you might be able to clean the dried paint stains from your clothes, cleaning the paint while it is still wet is the better chance to remove the paint. If you notice a splatter of paint on your clothing, it is advisable to clean it fast as the stain will become more stubborn to remove as it dries and sets. Here are the steps on how you can remove wet or dry acrylic latex paint from your clothes.
You will need:
- Heavy duty laundry detergent
- hot water
- cold water
- washing machine
- For wet paint, soak the clothing in a sink filled with cold water as soon as possible after it has stained with acrylic latex paint.
- Remove the clothing from the sink and wring it out so that it is damp but not soaking wet. Place it directly in your washing machine.
- Set your washing machine with the cool water setting and wash the clothing with a heavy duty laundry detergent.
- When the washing machine cycle completed, remove the clothes from the washing machine and check them to make sure that the paint has been completely removed.
- Run the wash cycle again if the paint remains.
- Make sure not to dry the clothing until the paint is gone or you may set it permanently into the fabric.
- When the stain has been removed completely, dry the clothing as you would normally do.
- To remove dry acrylic latex paint, apply a small amount of laundry detergent directly into the paint stain.
- Rub the detergent gently in a circular motion with an old toothbrush.
- Keep in mind that you are trying to loosen the paint from the clothing not scrubbing the paint even deeper into the fabric.
- Remove the laundry detergent by rinsing the clothing in hot water setting washing machine with a heavy duty laundry detergent.
- You can use the warmest water setting appropriate for the fabric if the clothing cannot be washed in hot water.
- Check the clothing care label for more information.
- Remove the clothing from the washing machine and check again to see if the stain has been removed.
- Dry the clothing as you would normally do if the paint is gone. Another method of removing dry acrylic latex paint is by soaking the clothing in a sink filled with cool water added with one cup of bleach for 15 minutes.
- Use color-safe bleach for colored clothing. Then, remove the clothing from the bleach water and rinse it with cool water before washing it in your washing machine to remove the bleach residue.