For having an orderly and long lasting solar water heating system, a proper maintenance and repair schedule need to done so that you can monitor the parts and components such as pumps, valves and their controls, insulation, wiring, pipes, seals and the solar collector. By understanding how the solar water heater works will enable you to determine and diagnose any problem that may occur earlier and also decide whether you can fix it by yourself or hire a professional in fixing the problems. In order to repair your solar water heating, below is some of the information that may help you in completing the task.
What you need to do:
- Check the storage tank and its components
- Check the solar collectors
- Pipe repair kit
- Replacement pipe
- The storage tank is where the water will end up after going through a system of pipes, valves, pumps and the solar collector. Along the way, you will find a lot of pipes, fittings, valves, pumps and controls that requires you to check regularly (twice a year) and see whether it is working properly or not. Normal checking should be based on any fittings that are loose, leaking pipes, valves that should not be sticking, pumps working are automatically operated and no cracks, leaks or damage on the storage tank and solar collector, plus wiring on the controls should also be checked.
- You need to check for any shading like vegetation growth over time or dust that covers the solar collector if the place you live in is a dusty climate. All these will definitely affect the performance of the solar collectors.
- The next step is to turn off the water source and then allow for the system to drain it.
- Then, take off the solar water heater from its mount before disconnecting the pipes attached to it. After that, you need to remove the Plexiglas top for gaining access to the inside pipes and allow it to dry completely.
- If you need to replace the solar heater box, the new box need to be mounted back to its location, reconnect the box to the source and then, to test its function within the 24 hour period to see whether its normal operation is working fine or not.