Windows are designed to provide nice scenery, day-lighting, air ventilation, and also solar heating during the winter. If you are not using the ENERGY STAR type of windows, your sunny windows will be the main reason for your heating bill to increase from 10 to 25 percent due to the air conditioner working harder in cooling the windows. In order to save energy for your windows, below are some of the things that you can do.
What you need:
- New window panes (for replacing cracked windows)
- Weather stripping
- A bead of organic caulking compound
- Clamshell locks
- If you have windows that you never opened for your entire life, shut them permanently and seal it securely using organic caulk compound around its frame. Then, you can add a single-pane storm window and install a bead of caulk, thus making it airtight, plus also can be made a picture window in your living room.
- Replaced any cracked window panes to reduce any leakage of cold air.
- Use a good plastic glazing compound before lining it into wedge made by the glass and the window frame for better method of sealing. This method can last up to 10 years before it starts to crack.
- To do weather stripping on rattling windows like installing V-strips or extruded plastic strips shaped in a V.
- Use a bead of organic caulking compound around window frame to seal out unwanted air.
- If you have double-hung type of windows, use clamshell locks which is not just for security but it is also used for pulling the sashes together and keeps cold air out of the house.