In order to improve the energy efficiency of your home, you can do the plugging method which is also known as air sealing of areas in your house where air can get in or get out easily. This is the most important first steps to make when weatherizing your house for increasing its energy efficiency. Below are some of the things that you can do to save energy for your home.
What you need:
- To increase insulation in various places
- Check Thermostat setting according to whether condition
- To shut all doors of empty rooms
- To turn off lights in rooms not in use
- To use cold water for machine-wash
- To increase the amount of insulation in various places which can help stop the transfer of heat from one place to another. Installing of insulation helps stop heat flow running out of house during winter or stop transfer of heat from outside during the summer.
- Set your thermostat to a few degrees lower during winter while in the summer set it a few degrees higher for saving cost of heating and cooling respectively.
- Shut all empty room doors that are not in use to reduce the area of heating or air-conditioning systems need to heat or cool.
- Turn off lights in rooms when not in use.
- Use cold water when washing clothes because up to 85 percent of the energy are being used for machine-wash clothes goes to heating up the water. Do not use the machine for drying but use a drying rack or let your clothes dry on the clothesline.