If you want to purchase a portable solar-powered generator, you must first determine how many watts the machine can handle at one time over the amount of time you would use it for your home. The amount is different according to the unit size and number of watts, thus the more power that you choose, the more expensive the unit is. Below is some of the information that may help you in choosing the right way of using a solar-powered generator.
What you need:
- Solar panels
- Battery box
- 12-volt DC meter
- DC input
- Bungee cord
- First of all, you need to purchase the solar-powered generator that comes with a solar panel rated at 12 volts or higher from your local marine or recreational vehicle stores or even from the internet.
- Use any size of deep cycle 12-volt lead-acid or gel battery because of its durability.
- For safety precautions especially if your children are always playing near the area, you need to use a battery box for covering up your battery and any exposed terminals.
- Use a 12-volt direct current “DC” meter and also a DC input, for example, the triple input model usually found in the cigarette lighter section of an auto parts store, provides adequate power for most DC appliances. You can also connect a cable to an answering machine or other portable electrical DC appliance where it will run directly off the box enabling you to boil water plus run the lights longer.
- If you are using a lot of appliances and electronic devices, it is recommended that you use an inverter that comes between the range of 115-volt AC 140-watt which will help convert the battery\’s stored DC power into an alternating “AC” current.
- Then you need to close the battery box with a bungee cord and place the solar-powered generator at a sunny location for charging its battery for at least 5 to 8 hours (for a dead battery) or 1 to 3 hours (for a weak battery). The solar panels will capture the sunlight and then convert it into useable energy before transferring it to the generators inverter thus enabling you to use your electrical appliances.