The NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) system is one of the most productive hydroponic systems available among all types. It uses no dirt and normally is used in a large industry, plus the system involves a channel of nutrient enriched water which constantly flows past a plant\’s roots.
In order to do the N.F.T. hydroponic systems, below is some of the information that may be useful to you.
What you need to know:
- A reservoir
- Two pumps (submersible air pump and water pump)
- Air tube and air stone
- Grow tray with lid
- Growing media
- Net pots
- First thing that you have to do is trace the net pots on the lid area and then cut the tracings accordingly so that it can fit the net pots later once the whole system is completed.
- Next, you need to place the submersible air pump into the reservoir along with the attached air tube and air stone. The water pump should be installed at the other end of the reservoir thus allowing the nutrient solution to travel up into the grow tray which is on the higher end. The air pump also should have enough pressure to do the required task.
- Once complete, the system need to be tested and check whether there is any leakage, plus also ensure that you can obtain 1 to 3mm film of water that can run from the higher end of the tray to its lower end which in the end drains the water back to the reservoir beneath.
- Remember to make the drain hole by drilling a 3.5-inch hole that can fit the PVC drain fitting with its rubber end placed inside the grow tray and the PVC pipe must be directed into the reservoir.
- If the system is free from leakages, you can place the net pots together with your plants onto the grow tray lid.
- During its initial growth period, watering need to constantly done from the top up until the plant\’s roots able to touch the film of water inside the grow tray.
- After each harvest or grow cycle, you must make sure that you do a periodically clean out the solution in the system and replace it a new and fresh batch of solution.