The function of a bathroom extractor fan is mainly to extract heat, humidity and moisture within the bathroom. The importance of installing an extractor fan is to avoid the moisture from seeping behind walls and forming mold and other types of bacteria that can be harmful to the stud walls and flooring. If you are deciding to install the wiring of your bathroom extractor fan, these are helpful steps to assist you in the completion of the wiring task. Here are the steps on how to do it.
Things that you need:
- Housing box
- electricians tape
- manual book or instructions
- First, you need to build a housing box for the extractor fan. The housing box is important to hold the extractor fan in place and to keep it from slipping out. You can purchase the housing at the same time the extractor fan is purchased. To accommodate the housing box, you may need to widen the installation area in the bathroom. However, it is necessary to make sure that the extractor fan stays in place.
- You need to make sure that the main circuit breaker has been turned off before you begin the process of wiring and installation of the extractor fan for the bathroom. All the power source of the home is controlled by the main circuit breaker. It is much safer for you to wire the extractor fan when the main circuit breaker is shut off to ensure that all of the power is completely off.
- The risk of not shutting off the circuit during wiring could rise the shorting of the circuit. It is never a good idea to touch live wires during the installation of an electrical appliance. You might face the risk of being electrocuted or being shocked by metal wires. This is will happen when you are not properly grounded or are working on a metal ladder that can act as a conductor for the electricity.
- Then, secure the wiring by tucking them back completely into the wall or wire box before attaching the extractor fan. Use the electricians tape to cap and taped the wiring ends. This will prevent the wires from sparking or start an electrical fire. Follow the instructions that come together with the extractor fan on how to secure the loose wire in order to maintain your safety at home.