Build Step Porch For A Mobile Home
Mobile homes are homes on the go. They are fun to have especially if you are planning to travel the country with your family. In this way, you will have everything you can possibly need at one place.
Mobile homes are usually added with a porch and steps. If you need to build steps for your mobile homes, here are the instructions on how to do it. This project will create your home mobile a four step porch.
You will need:
- 4 of 8 foot posts 4×4 inch pretreated lumber
- 18 of four foot 2×4 inch pretreated lumber
- 6 of 8 foot 5/4 by 8 foot pretreated lumber
- Wood stakes
- Deck screws
- Screw gun
- Measuring tape
- Level, 2 of 4 foot 2×8 inch pretreated lumber
- 2 0f 8 foot 2×12 inch pretreated lumber
- 10 of 33 inch 2×4 inch pretreated lumber
- Heavy string
- Circular saw
- Framing square
- First, place the 4×4 foot area to be the porch with stakes and string. Dig four post holes 24 inches deep for the corners of the porch. Two of the posts will be adjacent to the mobile home but not attached to it. All of the posts will be inside the 2×8 floor joists.
- Then, set the corner posts with concrete. Make sure they are plumb with a carpenter\’s level. Leave the concrete to set up. Measure up to the threshold of the door as this will be the starting point for the heavy string which goes around the two posts and returns to the mobile home. This is the height of the porch.
- Next, install the 2 of 4 foot 2×8 parallel with the mobile home with a 4-inch deck screws. Install the 5 of 45 inch 2×8 perpendicular to the four foot pieces that have just been installed. Install the 2×4 on the floor joists with the deck screws leaving a space between them for expansion and contraction. The hand rails are made to simple frames measuring 4 feet in length and 3 feet in height. Use deck screws to secure these to two sides of the porch.
- For the steps, measure the height from the ground to the top of the porch and divide this number by four. This is the measurement of the risers while an ideal measurement is 11 inches. Make layout of these dimensions on the 2×12 pretreated lumbers for the stair stringers. This will produce a porch step which is 4 feet in length and will need 3 stringers.
- Cut the 5/4 inch material into 8 stair treads for the part the foot uses to secure to the stringers. The thread should hang over the stringer at least 1 inch in the front of the edges. Then, attach a length of 2×12 at the top and back of the stringer with deck screws to make the stringer to be attached to the porch. Secure the stringer with deck screws.