Save Electricity around the House
Once saving electricity used to be known as the ultimate way to save on electric bills but as time passed by, it has been realized that saving electricity can also help to decrease global warming thus saving the environment. Electricity is produced by the burning of fossil fuels such as coal, oil, and natural gas, all of which heavily pollute the air.
It is no longer impossible for us to not to save electricity at home. Nowadays, with technologies and the awareness of living in a green way, makes it easy for us to commit ways of saving electricity in the house. Here are the steps on how you can save as much as 50 percent on your electricity bill by following these simple steps.
You will need:
- Energy saving appliances
- Compact florescent light bulbs
- Replace the old style bulbs in your home with compact florescent light bulbs (CFL). These bulbs only use about 78 percent less electricity without sacrificing light output. Nowadays, CFL bulbs are cheaper and available in soft light or true light. Choose according to your needs and the ambience that you want to achieve in the rooms of your house.
- LCD HDTV\’s are using less energy compared to other types of television and some even come equipped with the Energy Star standards. Although plasma TV\’s are cheaper, they could use a lot of electricity.
- If you want to minimize on the usage of air conditioner at your home especially during the hot summer days, get yourself out and plan to spend the day at the mall or the theater for a movie. Leave the windows open at night to let the cool breeze in and leave the blinds shut during the day. You can also use a dehumidifier to help the moisture out from the air.
- If you think bigger electric appliances are the only reason for electricity wastage, small devices such as phone charger, stereo or entertainment system can be the culprit too.
- You will notice that even after you turn off the television, you can still see a glowing blue or red dot signifying that it is off. In the long run, these small lights could add up serious cost to your electricity bill. To counter this problem, use power bars with timer settings on them and plug your stereo, TV, XBOX or everything suitable to it. When the timer turns the power bars off then you will be certain that there will be no more extra electricity flowing into your electronics.
- The freezer and the fridge are the most energy consuming appliances in our homes due the fact that they have to keep our food fresh all the time, so they are working 24 hours every week nonstop. Depending on your budget, you can purchase the best rated energy-efficient fridge and place them in a cooler place in the kitchen. Other such places that you can use are the garage and basement which are already cooler. These cool places will prevent the freezer from working extra hard.