One of an ideal menu that should be prepared during the Christmas dinner is Beef tenderloin combined with good quality side dishes such as balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts, potato gratin with regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, and a simple salad. The combination of the mentioned menu will definitely bring in an added joy to the Christmas Eve celebration.
What you need:
- Beef Tenderloin (about 2 ½ pounds)
- 1 tablespoon of either butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (3 ounces)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs (about 1 1/2 slices bread)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or Roquefort cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of either olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt) or regular salt
- 1/2 cup currant jelly (for making the Merlot Sauce)
- 1/2 cup Merlot, Zinfandel or nonalcoholic red wine (for making the Merlot Sauce)
- 1/4 cup Progresso beef flavored broth from 32-ounces carton (for making the Merlot Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (for making the Merlot Sauce)
- In order to make steaks, you need to buy a basic cut of meat which is also known as Beef Tenderloin. It is called Beef Tenderloin because the meat comes from the right of the short loin section of a cow. The reason choosing this centre loin section is due to its extreme tenderness thus making it a popular demand during holiday season and also very expensive.
- When you purchase a beef tenderloin, it is recommended that you choose an untrimmed beef because it is less expensive than the trimmed one. In order to trim the beef tenderloin, you just need to use a sharp knife and remove the silver tinted skin along with any excess fat or tendons.
For easy grilling of the beef, try to cut it into individual steaks even if you are putting some stuffed ingredients inside the beef because individual steak is easy to grill. Make sure you take the beef out from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before you want to grill them.
- The beef tenderloin need to be grilled by using medium heat and time range to cook, it will depend how thick you cut the beef (at least 60 seconds per side) and always use a tong when you flip the steaks instead of a fork. Using a fork will easily poke the steak and lose valuable juices and make it less tasteful. Use the following range of temperature for grilling guides, for rare beef use between 120 to 125 degrees Fahrenheit, for medium rare beef use between 130 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit or for medium beef use 140 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can also use simple seasoning such as a little pepper, garlic or sea salt. The beef tenderloin normally tastes good on its own and if you use more seasoning, it will take away the beef\’s flavor.