The air condition filter helps to keep the system components like blower and evaporator coil clean and also provides clean air to us. Changing the air filters of your air conditioning unit is not an expensive task. You can even do it by yourself to maintain your cooling system of dirt and air pollutants that can damage you and your family\’s health, but also can damage the unit\’s other parts and equipment. In order to change an air conditioner filter, below is some of the information that may be useful to you.
What you need to know:
- Find the unit\’s furnace and filter compartment
- Determine the exact size of air filter.
- High-efficiency filters for warmer and dusty climate
- First of all, you need to find the furnace and also the filter compartment which is normally covered using a strip of metal that can slide in and out of place during the unit\’s operation.
- To determine the exact size of the air filter that you are going to replace. Usually the sizes are displayed on the product box side.
- You must purchase the exact size filter for your replacement process as required for the system by its manufacturer. Nowadays, there are varieties of filters in the market ranging from an inexpensive standard spun glass filters, up to the expensive one like the synthetic polyester fibers.
- You should also consider using a high efficiency filters especially if you live in a warmer environment and dustier climates. These types of filters not only capture dust particles, but can also trap tiny particles of dust, pollen, mold and other irritants.
- If you or one of your family members has allergies, you should use hepa filters or filters coated with chemicals which can kill bacteria effectively.
- Use black permanent marker whenever you change your filter. When you slide up the metal guard, take note of the direction of air flow marked on the side of the filter, and you need to draw arrows in the same direction on the metal guard so that you can remember the correct direction to insert new filter.
- The high efficiency filters need to be replaced at least 4 times a year or even you can do it on a monthly basis. As for the old filter, you can discard it or you can recycle it into something new.