The modern cottage style takes a modern spin without straying too far from its classic roots. The regular fixture to a cottage style home, the garden view from the living room, textured materials and rooms that give a sense of comfort and coziness, will always be synonymous to cottage styles. Simply look for cottage icons, such as botanical prints, painted furniture, and neutral fabrics, presented in new ways.
Modern Cottage Style: Vintage Bungalow with a New Attitude
How to create a modern cottage bungalow look:
- Accent architectural details with white paint with mirrors to give a sense of space to small rooms. Create clean lines, by eliminating natural brick around a fireplace.
- Add a dash of colour like apple green or tangerine. Tint white paint to give a one colour variation throughout the house. And keep windows as bare as privacy allows.
- Decorated with eye-catching accent fabrics in solid-colour with texture. Strong colour of paint and accent are features in the modern cottage. Bold-pattern fabric in white plus one color updates the look of vintage florals.
- A bold display, such as reprinted botanicals framed to create one large work of art, is one way to update favorite collections from the \’40s. Objects in multiples and with modern silhouettes also help define the look.
Modern Cottage Style: Modern Home with Cottage Soul
How to create a modern cottage look:
- Feature rustic wood, tumbled stones, and French doors. Doors and windows connect a house to nature and draw in sunlight that embraces its occupants. Use Shoji screens and level changes, rather than walls, divide rooms.
- Have windows and doors with views of gardens create the backgrounds. Give a touch of blue or soft green to offset the white with natural finished wood and rustic quality warm up the surfaces.
- Worn leather, old linen, and nubby cotton feature in the modern cottage look. Add throws, covered by solid fabrics with a soft hand, help in lending relaxed contemporary shapes.
- Add organic objects like carved wood birds, birch branches, stone bowls, and rustic benches, to ground the design. Center pieces a collection on a table or mantelpiece, as it serves as a collection when arranged so pieces look sculptural.