Create a Pet Door in Hollow Core Doors
Nowadays, most houses with pets need to have a pet door. This is to enable the pets to go out on their own outside and do their business. This is an advantage for you as you will not have to wake up earlier than usual or go for frequent walks just because of the pets\’ needs. If you have pets that need to go out into the yard when you are not around then a pet door is the best solution. But, at the same time, if the type of door that you have is a hollow core door then s creating a pet door is not that difficult with that type of door. It is actually an achievable task to create a pet door in hollow core doors when you have the supplies needed all ready. But, if you don\’t then head over to your hardware store or pet store to find the tools and appliances needed for this project. Here are the steps on how to create a pet door in your hollow core door.
You will need:
- Pet door kit
- Cutting guide attachment
- Metal punch
- First, make sure that you purchase the right size of your pet door kit to avoid any unforeseen problems when installing it. Before buying the pet door kit, the most important thing to do is to take the measurement of your hollow core door before heading to the hardware store or pet store to choose the kit. When you have the perfect pet door kit for your hollow core door, it is best to read the instructions on the kit to prevent any problems during the installation. In this way as well, you know exactly what to do each step.
- Then, search for the bottom center of the hollow core door that you choose to install the pet door into. Place the pet door template on to it and trace accordingly using a pencil. Make sure not to draw in or out, it should be done exactly.
- Next, makes punches through the four corners of the traced area. Cut along the traced line carefully and make sure that you are cutting the whole door through.
- Make sure that the hollow core doors edges are cleaned and smoothen to eliminate any rough edges that may exists. To smooth the rough edges, you can use either a piece of sand paper or a grinding stone. This step will help when it comes to the installation of the pet doorframe into your hollow core door, it will help it fit perfectly.
- Once the edges are sanded and smooth, install your pet frame door and the rest of the kit.
Creating a nice pet door in your main door will be a nice addition for your pets. This enables them to get in and out without your help. Also, don\’t forget to take the needed security measures for the pet doors to avoid any incidents.