Having a Do-It-Yourself Home Security system would definitely help reduce the possibility of your properties from being burglarized. Although by having this type of security system, there are no guarantees that it will stop a very determined burglar, it can considerably lessen the risks of a break-in to happen in your house. Below are some of the steps for you to know in order to learn more about a Do-It-Yourself Home Security.
What you need to do:
- Join a Neighborhood Watch
- Use strong locks
- Use steel or solid wood doors
- Trim overgrown bushes
- Use alarm system
- Secure all ladders, shovels and other tools within your house surrounding
- Knowledge on usage of any type of system
- By organizing or even joining a neighborhood watch will help your area against thieves and these activities will also help you to know your neighbors much better, know their car and where they live thus you can easily notice whenever there is a suspicious person or car entering your neighborhood. Apart from that, you can also ask for assistance from your local community police to organize a meeting with all your neighbors enabling you to discuss the importance of having a neighborhood watch.
- Install good strong locks for your windows and doors because solid deadbolts will deter any intruder who wants to break in your house. It is recommended that you use solid deadbolts that come with at least 1-inch throw and 1-inch thick, which make it difficult for any intruder to unlock it.
- If you are using cheap door or hollow core doors, try to change it to doors that are made of steel or solid wood. Besides that, you also can reinforce door glass panes with non-breakable plastic film or solid bars with non-removable screws for a more secure pane.
- Try to think like a burglar when you are outside your house by asking yourself where would a burglar hide while breaking in, make sure you also trim any of your overgrown bushes, cut off tree limbs that can be used for climbing to your second floor window or balcony. You should also consider removing the high privacy fencing (if possible) that blocks your house from the street view.
- Apart from that, you can install a house alarm appropriately and test its operation frequently. Do not forget to use the security stickers around your house windows, place a sign also at a viewable area in your lawn, plus also use the ‘at home’ feature especially during the night. For a more increased security, you should consider having the alarm monitored accordingly.
- Another thing that you must make sure is to check whether all the windows have good type of locks or pins in order to prevent burglars from opening them from outside of your house. If you do not have it, you need to upgrade your window locks immediately.
- Next thing to do is to secure all ladders, shovels and other tools that could be used for breaking into your house within the surrounding of your home or yard.
- Finally, with the type of Do It Yourself home security that you choose, you must teach everyone in the family the knowledge on how to lock the doors, secure windows, set the alarm and put away tools. Make it an effort to secure your house every evening with specific chores that your whole family can delegate between each other, just like a routine schedule for the sake of safety not only for the house, but also for the family.
Arrest-Proof Yourself: An Ex-Cop Reveals How Easy It Is for Anyone to Get Arrested, How Even a Single Arrest Could Ruin Your Life, and What to Do If the Police Get in Your Face