Smoking meat is not only an outdoor activity. It can also be done inside. This really works if the weather outside is not suitable to have your meat smoked in that situation. It is in this situation that your oven works perfect for. With the oven being used to smoke your meat, wood chips is a definite need.
As time has passed by, people still like to do things the old fashion way. So far, a lot of people have not wanted their meat to be smoked in the oven. This might be as it’s more like a dull process than an exciting one. If your oven is electric, then don’t worry you can still smoke your meat.
In order to infuse your meat with flavor, you can simply smoke the meat in the oven using wood chips and soak it in water. This method can be used whenever the weather does not cooperate or you do not have enough space for a smoker grill. The trick to master is to slowly cook the meat so that the wood chips would be able to infuse the food with flavor. Below are some of the steps that you can try to smoke your meat in the oven using wood chips and water instead of the usual stuffs.
What you need:
- Baking pan
- Baking rack
- Meat thermometer
- Firstly, you need to soak a cup of wood chips in cold water for at least one hour and the wood chips must be fully submerged in the water within that period.
- Then, move the bottom of your oven rack in order for it to sit close to the bottom of the oven before you start to pre-heat the oven with 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After that, you need to strain the wood chips in a colander and then, spread them in the bottom of a baking pan, which is large enough to fit your meat.
- You need to only use enough wood chips just to cover the bottom of your pan. Remember not to overstack them because you might be having lots of smoke filling up you entire kitchen if you do so.
- Next, you have to place a baking rack inside the pan, over the wood chips. Then only you can set your meat onto the baking rack. Once finished, you must place everything on the bottom oven rack.
- Always ensure that you turn on your ventilation fan or open all of your house windows in order to remove the smoke so that you can prevent your house from getting the barbeque smell.
- Finally, you just need to cook the meat until the meat reaches your desired internal temperature. If the need arises, you just add some more soaked wood chips while the meat is cooked.
How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques
25 Essentials: Techniques for Smoking