It\’s nearly that time of the year again. The time of this season for giving and receiving, of course, Christmas today is as much a traditional holiday as Chinese New Year, Eid and Diwali as well as a commercially-driven celebration such as Valentine\’s Day. Here\’s a list of activities to do during this joyous time of the year:
Spend time with family members
- Had a tiff with Mom over your choice of clothing? Annoyed by your brother\’s constant loud music blasting throughout the house? Forget it all. This a season to forgive. Take a day off and go get some fresh air outside of the usual environment your family is used to. Go to a park and have a picnic or even just play a game of Monopoly together. At least for just one day, spend some well-deserved quality time with your family.
Meet up with long lost friends
- Family is important but so are friends. So, how long has it been since you last met your high school friends or college / university mates? Can\’t remember? Well, it\’s high time to pick up that phone and start calling and reconnect with each other. It\’s better to take the first step yourself than to wait a huge reunion that might or might not happen. Go out for a movie or head to nearest karaoke to sing your hearts out. If neither is to your taste, there is always the unofficial national hangout place: the local bar!
Give, give, give…
- It\’s not only about those you know but who you don\’t too as it is after all the season to give and share. Take some time out and visit charitable homes and gain new experiences along the way. Who knows? You might be able to make new friends at the same time too. In any case, if you have any extra items to give away, that is even better. There are many homes or charitable organisations which take in used items that are still in good condition. Volunteerism is definitely undervalued but never under-appreciated.
Shop till you drop
- Not literally of course! The shopping malls are not only a spectacle to behold during this season but great places to spend. Not only are there sales everywhere, there are also many choices to choose from no matter what your budget is. Just look out for the big \’Sale\’ sign hanging in front of the shops and you\’ll be sure to find a bargain!
- Since it is such a long holiday, why not take a breather and have a vacation? There are so many choices to choose from either locally or overseas. Nowadays, no matter what your budget is, there are various options to choose from; you can travel on budget with budget airlines or travel in comfort with all the frills attached. Take your pick and go on your very own adventure!
Engage your inner couch potato
- If spending money, battling traffic jams and large crowds is not your kind of thing, then staying at home would be the best option. Since it is Christmas, there would most likely be a lot of feel-good movies or entertainment programmes on TV. It might not be such a bad idea to relax and unwind in front of the tube once in awhile.
No matter what activity you choose to engage in this Christmas, just have fun and enjoy the trappings that go with the season!