Nowadays every household is equipped with a garbage disposal unit in the kitchen. However, after a few months of usage, it can definitely make your kitchen smells bad or give out a smelly odor. This kind of smell usually comes from old foods which are trapped on the splash guard or in the crevices, where in the end it emits odor-causing bacteria form. Below are some of the steps required to make your disposal unit smell better and also the whole of your kitchen area.
What you need:
- Lemon or lime
- Scrub brush
- Soap and water
- Old toothbrush
- White vinegar
- Small ice cubes
- Citrus or orange peel/rinds
- Knife or citrus peeler
- Deodorizer (if you have the budget because it is normally expensive)
- First of all you need to pour some bleach into the sink where the disposal unit is attached to. Leave it for a while in order to kill off the bacteria or germs in it.
- After five or ten minutes, rinse the garbage disposal really well with running water.
- Then, you need to take fresh lemon, lime, or citrus fruits and peel it off into tiny and small pieces. Slowly turn on the tap water and let it run while you drop off the pieces of fruit into the disposal unit. By doing this, the whole kitchen will smell like your chosen fruits.
- You can also fill the garbage disposal with citrus fruits together with ice plus also white vinegar.
- Then, you need to turn on the disposal for at least 30 seconds and after that turn on the cold water which will enable both the water and the disposal to run simultaneously until you will not be hearing the sound of the ice cubes. The end result of the process will make your disposal unit smells like citrus, cleans it away with all smelly particles and also kills off germs and bacteria.