If you notice that your room air conditioner is not cool, maybe it is time for the unit to be recharged with refrigerant (can be purchased at your local hardware store) and also clean the unit. You can do the task on your own and refer to the user manuals for guidance or you can hire an air-conditioning professional to assist you. Below are some of the information which is useful in recharging a room air conditioner for your house.
What you need:
Refrigerant replacement kit or recharge kit
- First thing that you have to do is to remove the air condition unit from the window and place it on a towel that you have spread on the floor to protect your carpet or tile from getting scratch or leaking of excess water from the unit.
- Using your screwdriver, you need to remove the screws that secure the back metal case in place. Then, remove the metal case from the unit by sliding it off. Find the unit\’s compressor which is a metal cylinder that has two hoses coming off from it.
- Next, you need to examine the can of refrigerant and locate the two valves. You can notice the service valve which is the larger of the two valve connectors; and then connect the service valve to the larger of the two hoses on the compressor.
- After that, you have to locate the tap valve on the refrigerant can which is the smaller of the two hoses and connect the tap valve to the smaller hose on the compressor.
- Next, you have to turn on the air conditioning system and test it using the highest setting available. In doing so, you have already begin the recharging process by allowing the coolant into the system.
- The above process of recharging need to be continued up until the refrigerant can is empty. Then, you can disconnect the power to the air conditioner or turn the unit off. Remember to also disconnect the recharge valves from the compressor.
- After that, you need to place the metal casing back in place, secure the case by replacing the screws and make sure it is properly secured. Finally, reinstall the air conditioner back to its original position.