In order to remodel your kitchen sink, it is recommended that you include a quality garbage disposal system which is more energy-efficient that reduces on its maintenance and operating costs thus enabling you to reduce the production of trash and also keeping your kitchen clean and more convenient. Basically, there are two types of disposal units available in the market which is the continuous fee and the batch-feed model. The continuous feed comes with an on/off circuit on the wall for controlling the intake of the disposal while the batch-feed model is designed with a twisted handle lid on the top of the disposal for operating it and allows water to go through. This system does not allow foodstuffs to go through it. Below are some of the steps to remodel your kitchen sink disposal.
What you need:
- A kitchen garbage disposal unit and accessories
- Plumber\’s putty
- Bucket and old towel
- Philips and straight screwdrivers
- Basin and Crescent Wrench
- Water pump pliers
- Hose clamp
- Jigsaw (if needed to open countertop)
- Flashlight (optional)
- Silicon sealant
- First of all, you need to ensure that you have to shut off all power especially in the kitchen area and also test the wires using a voltage gage to make sure that they are not active. This is an extra precaution to take for preventing electrical injury to you or anyone near you. Then, you need to remove all the waste from the sink, empty any excess food or discharge from the water bucket. Besides that, you also have to unscrew any screws and remove any mounting assembly accessories.
- After that, you need to apply the plumber\’s putty onto the new flange and drop it into the sink hole. You also have to attach its mounting assembly before sliding the unit onto the flange accordingly until it is locked and in the correct place. Then, seal it and tighten up all the relevant screws.
- The next step is to insert the top section of the disposal system onto the mounting assembly, tighten its screws and test it accordingly by shaking the unit, making sure that it is well in place.
- Then, you need to align and rotate the disposal system before attaching the dishwasher tube along with its discharge tube.
- You can also use the silicon sealant to cover the border line of your kitchen sink to protect them from excess water when you open the sink tap.
- Finally, you need to do proper connection of the electrical wiring accordingly and use the recommended cord which connects to the disposal unit. Then, restore back the power supply and carefully test the disposal unit\’s functions.