None of us would like to shower in the dark and prefer to have a good lighting fixture inside the bathroom or shower. In order to do that, you need to install a lighting fixture above your shower especially the one which is equipped with waterproof so that you feel safe when you are having your shower because electricity and water really does not mix in very well together and can cause danger. Waterproofing your lights is not a very difficult task to do, with a proper understanding of the things that you wanted to do an extra careful you can do it in just a few minutes. Below are some of the steps to take into consideration if you decide to waterproof your lights in the shower room;
Waterproof lights in shower:
What you need:
- Replacement waterproof light covers
- Replacement light sources
- Tube of silicone Caulk and a Caulking Gun
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Chisel or putty knife
- Tape measure
- Incandescent lights
- First of all, make sure you turn off any power source that connects to the bathroom while you are making any repairs or replacement to your lights.
- Normally, bathrooms are designed with low ceilings especially your shower area. Therefore, the appropriate item to use is recessed lighting fixture where you can also purchase a waterproof trim together with the recessed fixture. The trims usually are made of glass or stainless steel or other suitable materials. Before installing these fixtures on top of your shower, make sure to check on certain aspects such as available space between the shower and the ceiling and also the available wiring and its condition.
- You can also waterproof existing shower light by using tube of silicone caulk and a caulking gun where you can carefully seal the surrounding or the outer edge of the fixture. After that, you need to allow it to dry thoroughly by at least up to 24 hours before continuing to use your shower as usual.
- If you have already installed a shower light which is not waterproof, you can always change its cover or casing using a waterproof designed that you can purchase at your local stores. Before installing the new cover, carefully removing the old shower light cover by prying loose its housing without breaking it and removing its pieces. Use the normal tools such as a flat-head screwdriver, chisel, or putty knife.
- After removing the light housing, clean up the surrounding area so that it is free of dust and dirt.
- Then, place in the new cover, which is also known as Lenses, (it is recommended to use the type of cover normally used in swimming pools and spas) that measures correctly according to your original shower lights.
- Apart from that, you can also use Incandescent type of lights for replacing your existing shower stall lighting. But always remember to measure the existing light fixture space area so that any new Incandescent light can fit to the exact space in your bathroom.