If you love the idea of growing healthier and having a sustainable garden, this composting worm bin is a great project to do. Worm bin is not an expensive way to compost your leftover food such as vegetables or fruits. You can simply make your own worm bin by using a metal garbage can. The worms will become the main players to help you on composting your garbage the green way. Here are steps on how to make your own worm bin.
Things that you need:
- Medium-size metal garbage can
- Electric drill
- Grass clippings
- Shredded paper
- Paper towels
- Water spray
- Red wigglers worms
- Make holes every 5-inch horizontally and about 2-inch vertically in the bottom third of your garbage bin by using an electric drill.
- Dig a hole in your backyard that fits your garbage bin. Make sure that the holes are completely covered when you place it into the ground.
- Create a mixture of greens such as grass clippings, brown stuff from the leaves and twigs and your vegetable\’ leftovers. You can also add shredded paper, newspaper, napkins or paper towels. Avoid adding any milk products, cooked vegetables or meat to the bin.
- Add some water by spraying some water into the mixture. Avoid spraying too much of water. Keep the mixture moist instead of dripping wet or it will be like a soup.
- You can keep adding the veggies until they reach the level of the top holes. The worms from the earth will come in through the holes and help to create the compost. It will take some time for the compost to process so you may want to have a regular compost pile as well.
- To fasten the composing process, you can add red wigglers worms purchased from your local pet shops or botanical shops. Avoid weeds in your garden by keeping the weeds out of your compost bin.
Having a worm bin is a great way to have a healthier garden with even healthier vegetables so try it out and enjoy the results.