During the summertime where it is normally hot and humid, you really need something that can cool you off for instance by using a regular air conditioner (if you have one) or make one yourself from a few household items together with a cooler. In order to build an air conditioner from a cooler, below is some of the information that may be useful to you.
What you need:
- Stand Fan
- The best cooler to be used for this task is a 5-gallon or 10-gallon cooler with more insulation that the cooler provides the better it is to the surrounding of the affected room.
- You also need to drill at least six holes onto the top of the cooler at least 5 inches apart from each other using a 1/2-inch drill bit. The holes need to be drill straight through the cooler\’s cover or on top of the cooler.
- The next step is to fill the cooler with ice especially a block of ice because it can last longer and the block ice melts slowly without having to add more ice. You can also use a few bags of ice (2 or 3 bags at a time) in case you do not have block ice. If you are having a dry spell, you definitely need to store more extra ice in your freezer. Then, close the cooler lid and place the cooler in the center of your room or on a table.
- Besides that, you can also put some salt (NaCl) together with the ice creating endothermic reaction between salt and water for further reducing of the surrounding temperature.
- After that, you need to place a fan behind the cooler and turn it on the low setting thus will enable the cool air from the ice inside the cooler mixed with the fan\’s air and therefore creating a cooling effect inside the room.
- In order to setup the unit, just simply place the cooler at the required area where you wanted it to work from and plug it to your power source. It is advisable that you place some plastic or metal underneath the cooler for protecting your floors or carpets if the water from the ice leaks out of the cooler.