Cycas Revoluta or the sago palm is actually a cycad which is a rare group of seed plants, and not actually a palm tree. The natures of this plant are slow growing and evergreen plants that can grow about 10 to 12 feet in height. They can be planted either outdoors, in containers or as a bonsai plants. If you are planning to grow the Cycas Revoluta make sure your place provides bright and sun filled location with sandy soil for fast draining. Here are the steps on how you can grow your own Cycas Revoluta.
Things that you need:
- Sago palm seeds
- Growing medium
- Planting cells
- Plant sprayer
- Irrigation tray
- Spoon or small block of wood
- Place the sago palm seeds in water and let them soak for at least 12 hours. Do not use or throw away any floating seeds as they will likely not germinate.
- Wear gardening gloves when handling the sago palm seeds.
- In each individual cell, place sterilized sand or equal amount of sterilized perlite and peat moss together. Keep the soil within ½ inch of the top of the rim. Firm down the soil in each of the cells until it\’s well packed.
- Moisten the surface of the soil in the planting cells with water. In each cell, plant 1 or 2 sago palm tree seeds. Plant them horizontally in the soil with a flat side facing up. By using the back of a spoon or small block of wood, press the sago palm seeds firmly into the soil. Bury the seeds into the soil about 1/3 to ½ of its thickness.
- Spray the surface of the soil in each of the cells using a fine mist of water. Be sure that the soil has been thoroughly moistened.
- Place the planted cells into an irrigation tray or similar container. Keep the temperature consistently between 75 to 90 degrees in the tray. Spray the soil as much needed to keep the soil moist. The sago palm\’s germination normally starts within 2 to 3 months. The best time transplant the sago palm seedlings are when they each have at least 1 set of leaves.
- Make sure to avoid children or animals to handle or digesting any parts of the sago palm. All the portions of this plant are considered highly toxic. For prevention, place these plants where they are not reachable for the children.