- Measure out the quantity of stearic acid and wax. The measurement of acid with wax is in the ratio 1:10.
- Boil some water and heat the acid using double boiling method. Add a few of dye from your desire color block and leave it to dissolve. Do not add the color if you want your candle colorless. Mix the ingredients carefully.
- Add paraffin wax to the ingredients and stir until it dissolves. Add cinnamon powders to the ingredients to help emit cinnamon fragrance. Use a thermometer to check the temperature of the wax and make sure it has not exceed ed 80?C. If it exceeds, shut off the fire.
- Attach the wick into glass or your desired shape mould. Place and fix the wick in the centre of the glass or mould by pouring some liquid wax into the base of the glass or mould and let it be solid around the wick.
- Attach the wick to a stick to keep the wick in place. Leave the wax.
- Pour the wax into a metal pouring jug. Then slowly pour the wax into the glass or mould. Put a tray or wax paper under your glass or mould to stop the wax from spilling everywhere.
- Wax contracts and the middle of wax will sink when it cools, so you will need to melt more wax and top up the candle. After the first pour, use a stick to poke small holes in the candle around the wick to prevent air pockets developing inside the candle. Add the wax.
- Repeat the process. Continue poking small holes in the candle and top up the wax until the surface is flat.
- Leave the candle cools. The candle takes a few hours to cool, depending on the size and environment. When it has completely cooled down, remove the stick and trim the end of the wick.
- Heat the wax using double boiler or in medium low heat.
- Do not leave the wax while still heating it. Be aware of distractions such a cat an children.
- Do not pour wax down the drain to avoid clogged drain.
- Put wax paper over your work area in order to peel off any spilled wax easily. This wax can be reused in the next project.
- Put any wax leftover into a bowl that is covered with wax paper and let it cool.
- Cover your hair with a scarf or tie it back so no hair will flowinto your candle.
- Stay alert with the temperature of the wax. Keep your thermometer in the boiling wax at all times and if the temperature is get to close to 80?C, remove the wax immediately from the heat source.
- Add the powdered cinnamon to the wax before pouring the wax into the mould. Stir the cinnamon powder into the wax so it is evenly distributed. Make sure the cinnamon is finely grounded as large pieces to avoid the flame to go out.
- The amount of powdered cinnamon depends on the size of your candle and the quality of the cinnamon.
- Do not add a lot of powdered cinnamon to the wax because it will make the aroma too heavy and the flame will not be able to burn effectively.
- Paraffin wax is odourless, tasteless and waxy solid.
- Stearic acid a.k.a stearin, is a non-toxic additive that brighten colours in dyed candles and increases the hardness and opacity of the candles.
- Using stearic acid will assist the candles burn longer and have an improved surface.
- Stearin should not be used in combination with rubber or latex moulds because it might damage the mould.
- Replace stearin with Vybar if you’re using rubber moulds.
How to choose a safe candle mould
The heart ones are perfect to scent with cinnamon heart tarts. Choose a mould made from metal or a heat resistant rubber and heat resistant enough to be used with hot wax.