Oil is one of the common sources of heating which is often found in every household. If you notice that your oil tank is having a leakage, you must know what action to take, deal with the situation and immediately protect the environment because a leaky oil tank can cause your surrounding soil polluted. In order to remove soil pollution around a leaky oil tank, below are some of the things that you can do.
What you need:
- Absorbent material
- Metal trashcan and bag
- De-greasing solution
- Dustpan and brush
- Always take extra precaution and safety measures when you are playing with oil which is flammable. You must ensure and remember to keep away heat and frames near the oil leakage because this could ignite. As for an enclosed area, when there is an oil tank leakage you must follow instructions, open the doors and windows for increasing the amount of ventilation. Besides that, remember to remind all those around you not to step on the spilled oil.
- Next, use an oil-absorbing solution over the oil spilled area. There are quite a number of products in the market that can absorb oil and a lot of them composed of a strong washing powder.
- Use a dustpan and a brush or a small metal spade for removing the polluted area of soil before you throw the contaminated soil away. The contaminated soil can harm animals or plants. When you have finished clearing up the contaminated soil, you need to tie up the bag for not allowing the fumes to escape.
- After that, you have to carefully dispose of the contaminated soil by taking it to a hazardous waste disposal unit closer to your house. Do not dispose of the oil along with other waste because it can damage your environment.
- As for the remaining of the spilled oil, you can use a de-greaser (it can also be used on stones or rocks) solution to clean it up completely.
- Do not forget to stop the leakage in your oil tank so that your environment will not be damaged again. Immediately fixing the leak will save you lots of money and waste more of your oil storage. The oil tank should be setup on a hard concrete base to prevent any oil spill from absorbing the soil.