You can change the look of your kitchen by just adding glass to the selected cabinet doors because using solid wood doors can give a monotonous feel to your kitchen environment. The glass doors offers depth and keep your cabinets from closing the space, plus the clear glass also enables you to showcase your favorite collectibles or fine china ware. Below are guides on how to renovate your kitchen cabinets to glass doors.
What you need:
- A computer
- Tape measure
- Hole punch
- Paint and paint supplies
- Before starting with your renovation work, take pictures of your cabinets before, during and after renovation for you reference. Disassemble old kitchen cabinet doors, measure the size and note down its measurement because you never know maybe each of the door may be slightly different from one another. The door openings and its distance also need to be measured.
- Draw pictures and layout of your kitchen cabinet and label all the measurements that you have noted down.
- You can use the internet to look for search engine to find “Unfinished Kitchen Cabinets” for best bargain accessories to apply to your kitchen cabinets.
- Wash the cabinet\’s surface thoroughly using soap, vinegar and water. Then, you need to apply at least 2 coats of hi-gloss latex paint (colour depend on your preferred choice) to create a good base and seal off the old paint. The better quality of the paint, the much fewer coats you will be using.
- If you are using replacement doors, you need to sand them first using a coarse sand paper and finish with fine grit.
- Next, pre-drill the holes for accessories such as door handles. Measure them carefully so that they will be in the same position on all of the doors.
- Before hanging the cabinet doors, you can insert the glass or even hire professional help because the cost is not that expensive. You can either choose from three different glass categories like clear glass, obscure glass (ribbed or pebbled can diffuse the contents of the cabinet) or opaque glass (sandblasted or frosted hide the interior contents).
- The pre-drilled holes that you have made earlier to the cabinet doors can definitely help you in hanging up the cabinet doors and it can be done in a short time.