The squeaking noise coming from your door may be the results of several reasons, for example, bad paint work done on it, corrosion, rust, wear and tear, or from the usage of old lubricant that has become tacky. Most of the time, the squeaking sound comes from door hinges. The hinges can rust over time therefore causing it to produce an irritating noise. Always remember to take extra precaution when using any kind of method and the materials that you are using such as by using an eye wear and gloves for protection. Also try to avoid using cooking oil to repair your squeaky door, although it does work, but in just a month it will get sticky. Other materials to avoid include dry graphite powder because it will turn into black powder. Below are some of the steps that you have to do in order for you to repair the squeaking sound from your door.
What you need:
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Clean cloth
- Penetrating oil spray (i.e. WD-40)
- First of all, you have to determine which door the squeaking sound\’s coming from. Also make sure to check whether the squeak is coming from the hinges and not from the actual door wood.
- The next step is to spray a non-stick cooking spray or spray oil on the problem area for instance on the metal hinges, starting from its top going through the bottom where you will be able to cover all the hinges. This process need to be done in a fluid movement with downward motion.
- Then, you have to test whether the sound still exist by moving the door back and forth. This is to ensure that there is no more leftover of the squeaking sound that you have missed and need to be repaired.
- If there is still a squeaky sound, re-spray the affected areas only and you need to do another round of door check as per mentioned in the Step 3.
- After that, you have to wipe off any excess oil (if any) being left on the door during your repairing task by using a clean cloth.
- Try to repeat the same process mentioned above as and when you required each time your door squeaks in the future, plus also check the other doors available in your house so that there is no more squeaking sound that can irritate you especially during the night time.