Wallpaper Steamer, Stripper and More
Decorating our walls with different wallpapers is fun, and removing the wallpapers can be fun too, depending how you see it. Taking out wallpaper is definitely not an easy task especially if the wallpaper is an old one. Wallpaper is normally paste to the wall using a water-based glue or wall paper paste. In order to remove wallpaper from your wall, you need to get the paste wet or simply softening it to enable you to remove the wallpaper from the wall. It is much more difficult especially if the wallpaper uses vinyl or plastic-coated. Since there are different types of wallpapers around, there are different ways to get rid of them too. Here are the ways that you can get rid of the different types of wallpapers there are.
What you need:
- Wire brush
- Paper Tiger
- Chemical wallpaper stripper
- Spray bottle
- Wallpaper steamer
- Baking pan
- Rubber gloves
- Step stool
- Firstly, you must lay a sheet of plastic on your floor so that it is easy for you to clean all the scraped off wallpaper. If you are using chemical stripper, it is recommended that you lay down an old towel on the floor in order to absorb any of the dripping solution.
- In order to penetrate the paint\’s film, you need to use a stiff wire brush so that you can wear down the surface. Besides that, you can also use the Paper Tiger tool that has multiple small pins attached to the wheels and it works on small holes once it rolls over the painted wall surface.
- It is advisable to use the chemical paint stripper as a last option in order to remove the painted surface because it is a toxic product and may cause damage if not properly and carefully used.
- The wallpaper can be stripped by using the chemical wallpaper stripper mixed with hot water which can be sprayed or you can use a paint roller onto the wallpaper\’s surface.
- The solution will dissolve the paste of the wallpaper and will help lift them from the wall. Try to wet the area large enough to enable you to remove the paper within 15 minutes so that you can avoid any damage.
- Another option is for you to rent or purchase a wallpaper steamer which is an alternative to the toxic chemical stripper. A wallpaper steamer is a hotplate that comes with a hose that uses hot water reservoir enabling it to heat the water and direct steam it to the hotplate.
- Once you are ready, you can start from the top of your wall by holding the hotplate against the surface right until your wallpaper really softens before you start moving it to another section to soften the new area. While doing that, you may scrape the wallpaper that you have just softened.