Rodenticide, which is another name for rat poison is a dangerous substance to not only pets, but also to humans if they accidentally consumed it. The poison acts by exploding the rodent’s blood vessels hence causing the rodents to suffer internal bleeding, which is like a slow killer to the body. Although the rodents might not dead immediately, after several feedings of the poison it can kill the rodents successfully. It is crucial to remove and to dispose rat poison quickly when a spill happens as this will help prevent any chance for your children and the pets to eat the substance. Here are the steps on how to clean any spills of rat poison.
You will need:
- Latex gloves.
- Scoop or dust pan.
- Warm water.
- Nose mask.
- Plastic container or bucket with lid.
- Large old towel or cloth.
- Trash bag.
Rat Poison Spills
- First, sweep the poison with a broom into a pile in one part of the room area. It is important for you to wear nose mask and latex gloves to prevent the rat poison from sticking on your hands from entering your lungs.
- Then, place the rat poison into a plastic container or a bucket with a lid using a dust pan or a scoop. You should then label the bucket or plastic container with “Rat Poison” or any similar words using a marker. Before storing the container in a cool and dry location, secure the lid and make sure the storage area far from any pets and children reach.
- Follow on by wiping the surface where the rat poison was spilled with a damp large old cloth or towel to remove any small traces of rat poison. Throw the used towel or cloth into a trash bag and dispose it in your home’s garbage bin.
- Finally, you can remove the latex gloves from your hands and throw them inside a trash can. Clean your hands thoroughly by washing them with warm water and soap.
Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City’s Most Unwanted Inhabitants
Pick Your Poison: How Our Mad Dash to Chemical Utopia is Making Lab Rats of Us All